This sermon was preached by our High School Pastor Dan McPherson on 1 John 2:15–17 and is part of our series Light Applied to Life.
Life Group Discussion Questions
- What do you love? Put another way, what is something or someone that calls for your ultimate love and desire rather than Jesus?
- How do you regularly re-calibrate your heart toward God? What are some rhythms/practices you have or can put in your life to do that?
- Share some of your favorite books, movies, music, or characters with each other. Then answer these questions together:
- Does those lead you to worship God? Or worship yourself, someone or something else?
- Where does your enjoyment of those push you? Toward God or toward ourselves?
- Do those harden you or make you more tender?
- If you were to conform your actions and attitudes to those of your favorite characters (in a book, movie, TV show, real life, etc.), would your life be better or worse than it is now?
- Do the stores you like to write, read, watch, tell reflect the stories that God likes to tell?
- Talk about the implications of those answers – should you change your media and culture consumption in any way? Why or why not?
- What is one strong fleshly desire/temptation (but not your deepest desire) you have had this past week that either you gave into or resisted with the Holy Spirit’s help and strength?
- Look up the 4 will of God passages below. Which ones are you living into well right now? Which ones are a struggle currently?
- John 6:40 – everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life
- 1 Thess. 5:18 – give thanks in all circumstances
- 1 Peter 2:13-15 – submit to authority
- 1 Thess. 4:3 – abstain from sexual immorality
- Brainstorm ways you as a group can encourage each other to re-train, re-calibrate, and continuously focus your heart back on God as you live in the world but not of it.
- Split into groups of 2-3 or guys/gals and pray specifically for each other.